In your twenties there are so many things to look forward to and countless memories to reminisce over. It’s the decade in your life where you’re old enough to make the right decisions, yet young enough to pull off the wrong ones, thus I’ve composed a list of 7 things that I feel are important to remember while approaching or being in your twenties:
1) Don’t hesitate to be impulsive. If you’re constantly held back by limits of the labour force, education system or social norms — you’ll look back and regret all the adventures you could have only done in your twenties.
2) Take time to be alone and become more self aware. A lot of people think being alone is sitting on Netflix; this is fundamentally wrong. Go for walks and hikes, grab coffee at small café’s, go window shopping- alone. It helps keep your body and mind in check.
3) Change is inevitable so roll with it. If it’s leaving a job, ending a friendship, summer courses, restarting a relationship- just roll with it. The less you complicate the process of change, the greater your results will be.
4) Explore everything possibly available. Old things, new things, random places, people; get to know everything and anything as well as you can, and even when you think you know it all… remember you don’t so dig deeper.
5) Set some goals. No, you don’t need a detailed guideline of your decade, but figure out where you’d like to be in 3 years, 7 years, or 10 years. You need something to look forward too when days get dull, plus your family will be more impressed than you think.
6) Spend time with your family. Your family needs you more than you can possibly imagine so don’t let them down. In your twenties you want to be alone, wild and free; which is great, but take a step back from yourself to appreciate how much your family has done for you and how much they love you.
7) And finally, chose your friends wisely. Your friends are the family that you get to pick, but during this two way street, you get older and the circle becomes smaller. Don’t forget that the people that encourage, support and listen to you, expect the same. Every relationship, romantic or not needs to be equal. In your twenties friends help define yourself, so again, chose wisely.
As Escamilla once said “your 20’s are your ‘selfish’ years. Its the decade to immerse yourself in every single thing possible. Be selfish with your time and all the aspects of you. Tinker with shit, travel, explore, love a lot, love a little, and never touch the ground.”
Till next time,